Tips for Messaging Once You’ve Connected: The second installment in a series about online dating
By: Adrian Drower, Ask Adrian Blogger and No Boundaries Participant
Welcome to your not-so-distant future. Since just about everything is online now, online dating is all the rage. It’s a good thing you have the great profile that you put together because it’s going to be very helpful. It’s time to take to the streets (the digital dating streets, I mean) and try to make a connection. By now, I’m guessing several people “like” you, and you may have “liked” several people as well. That’s awesome!
Are you ready for the next step? I have a feeling you are since you kept that profile alive and updated. Everyone knows that first impressions say a lot and this is very true for that first message you send to someone, the reverse applies as well.
Below are a few tips to consider when you are ready to send that message:
- Don’t over use emoticons and abbreviations; they can be flirty, but they also might show you’re lazy, so tread lightly… better safe than sorry.
- Write like you’re speaking directly to them by using a lot of “you” and “your” statements; it makes readers feel like you’re speaking directly to them.
- Re-read their profile and refer to something in it that you both have in common.
Ask open-ended questions. People like to talk about themselves, so give them a reason to. Just make sure to respond to their questions also.
- Keep it sweet, short (just not too short) and to the point. At the same time, leave them wanting more.
- Use humor. Be as light as possible and avoid clichés.
- Avoid copying and pasting messages, it’s considered a big turn-off.
- Don’t forget: Read over your message and edit for spelling and grammar before you click send.
Once you click send, you no longer need to hold your breath. Now you wait for a response, just make sure you check in every now and then. Patience is important here just like it is in life. From that first message, you never know what may transpire!