The holiday season is officially here! We talked to our Disability Awareness Players about what they are grateful for this year, their favorite holiday traditions and more. Read their responses below.
What are you most grateful for this year?
- Brian: I am most grateful that I am healthy and have been able to spend time with my friends and my fellow players. I am happy I can see them in person again.
- Claudia: I am grateful for my new computer, my family, my health, the Center for Independent Futures, my roommate and being a Disability Awareness Player.
- John: I am very grateful for my good health.
- Sarah A.: I am thankful for my family and friends.
- Sarah S.T.: I am most grateful for the opportunity to teach more people about disability awareness.
Do you have any family traditions?
- Alana: Each of my family members makes a different dish that we bring to the Thanksgiving dinner table.
- Brian: My parents and I watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving parade on Thanksgiving morning.
- Claudia: Every year on Thanksgiving, my mom prepares turkey and potatoes. My sisters will make dessert and my mom will buy pies.
Do you have any special dishes that your family makes every year?
- Alana: My aunt makes mashed potatoes and my dad makes rutabagas. We also have turkey, stuffing, and an artichoke dish. My uncle makes pumpkin pie for dessert. We also usually have pecan pie and ice cream.
- John: My dad’s mom makes really good stuffing!
- Sarah A.: My grandmother makes sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. Now I make it for our family too!
- Sarah S.T.: I enjoy a hot turkey sandwich in a bowl.
What is your favorite dish to eat at Thanksgiving?
- Alana: Mashed potatoes are usually my favorite dish throughout the years.
- Brian: My favorite dish is sweet potatoes, but I also like turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing.
- John: I really do not have a favorite dish; I like them all.
- Sarah A.: I like stuffing the best!
- Sarah S.T.: It’s hard to choose my favorite dish because I love all the Thanksgiving food!
This Thanksgiving, Search and JJ’s List are grateful for all of you – our wonderful supporters! We could not do our work without you. Consider giving today in support of our mission to create a world where all people live, learn work and play together.