By Sarah Armour, Michaela Moran and Matt Rizzo
The holidays are supposed to be a joyous time of year. However, we often get overwhelmed and stressed out over the things we want to do and/or are expected to do, such as shopping, gift wrapping, cooking, social obligations and keeping family traditions, to name a few.
Department stores are packed with merchandise, lights, music and people, which can be overwhelming. Even though we love our families and friends, spending extra time with them can be challenging. We often think of the holidays as a magical time, but they don’t always go as perfectly as we hope.
We wanted to share a few tips with our readers that help us navigate the holidays with less anxiety. We hope you will find them helpful so you can enjoy yourself and have a great time with your friends and your family this holiday season!
- Before you go shopping, make a list of the things you want to buy, whether it’s a grocery list or a gift list. It will save you time and help you focus when you are at the store.
- In order to avoid over stimulation, try shopping a little at a time and during off-peak times, like mid-day.
- If you find yourself in a busy, maze-like atmosphere, focus on one thing or look up at the ceiling.
- Of course, there is also the option of shopping online or shopping at smaller, local stores in your neighborhood.
- Plan your activities ahead of time so you don’t over commit yourself.
- Use a calendar to keep track of all your activities and prioritize what’s most important to you.
- Take time for yourself to “recharge your batteries” now and again by taking a nap, going for a walk, or reading a book in a quiet space.
TIPS FOR MANAGING EXPECTATIONS:
- Remember that it’s okay if things don’t go exactly as you hoped.
- Try to stay in the present and enjoy everything about the season, including shopping, cooking, and keeping traditions.
- Focus on what is really important to you.
- Look ahead to the next big event on the calendar!
- Get plenty of sleep
- Walk the dog
- Exercise regularly
- Listen to music
- Write poetry
- Take deep breaths
- Play a game
- Try not to eat or drink too much
Happy Holidays from JJslist, No Boundaries and Ignite!