I was listening to a podcast by a job coach the other day named Marshall Goldsmith. He’s a pretty famous guy in business because he’s a job coach to leaders of giant companies like General Electric and Motorola. That’s right. Even big CEOs of giant corporations need job coaches! Dr. Goldsmith said that being a job coach is more successful when you are job coaching a client who cares.
It got me thinking, that if you have a job coach and you show that you care, you are thinking like a CEO! Our clients with disabilities who work with job coaches here at our job development center at 824 Dempster in Evanston are looking for employment or already have a job and want to keep that job.
By watching and listening to them, I could see that – just like those CEOs – THEY CARE! What do our job coaching clients do to show they care?
- They arrive on time for coaching appointments and always arrive on time for work.
- They ask, “How am I doing at my job?”
- They dress neatly – clothes are clean, shirts tucked in, hair combed, teeth brushed.
- They sit up straight in their chairs.
- They make eye contact – even if that’s a tough thing to do.
So, whether you have a job or are looking for one, make like a leader of a big company and show that you care!
Have a caring week.