If you are a civically impassioned leader with a visible, invisible, or acquired disability who lives in the Chicago region, then listen up: we have the perfect network for you! ADA 25 Advancing Leadership—a Chicago-based nonprofit organization that fosters power and influence from within the disability community—has been building a diverse Members Network made up of positive disrupters who lead with their disability identities to shape a more inclusive, just, and equitable society. If you have at least 10 years of leadership experience, live in the seven-county Chicago region, and have a passion for civic engagement, then there is no time like the present to join: they are currently accepting applications for new Members! The deadline to apply is Friday, June 5th. There are zero membership or application fees (aside from nominal costs for optional events and program offerings).
Still on the fence? Being part of the Members Network gives you access to:
- A network of over 140 leaders with disabilities who are supporting each other’s leadership plans to lead at tables of power and influence
- Networking events throughout the year
- Mentors for civic engagement, leadership development, disability rights advocacy, and more
- Opportunities to expand participation in civic engagement in the nonprofit and public sectors
- Training sessions/materials on disability rights and civic engagement
- Speaking opportunities on panels, facilitation, media interviews, etc.
- Scholarships to relevant conferences or trainings
You might be wondering what a network looks like in the face of COVID-19. Like most of the world, the Members Network has shifted to the virtual sphere. From learning about how the pandemic impacts the disability community and disability policy to leading topic-based conversations and creating safe spaces to share experiences, Members are partaking in fully accessible sessions via Zoom. They are also attending various virtual events such as Advancing Leadership’s monthly Disability Power Series (next up is Crip Camp: Building Power to Create Culture Change on June 8th—all are welcome). They prove and are continuing to prove that it is entirely possible to grow a healthy network even during a pandemic. Don’t wait until 2021 to join: apply to be a Member today!
If you need more reasons to join, check out Advancing Leadership’s blog where you’ll find several posts by and about Advancing Leadership Members.