Congrats! You finally received a phone call from an employer asking you to come in for an interview! Now, what do you wear? You want your first impression to be strong, for the people you are about to meet could possibly jump-start a new chapter in your life. Your outfit and overall appearance should radiate intelligence and professionalism. Below are 5 tips to remember when dressing for your interview:
1. Make sure your clothes fit properly: Nothing too tight, nothing too loose-fitting, and ladies, do not wear anything revealing!
2. Wear a suit: This applies for both men and women. A suit will make you stand out from the rest of the applicants who only dress in business casual attire. A suit says you are ready for a promotion and you truly care about the role and company.
3. Make sure you have a nice, clean, well-groomed haircut/hairstyle: Your hygiene and personal appearance says a lot about you. The amount of effort you put into your personal appearance subliminally suggests the amount of effort you are willing to put into your career.
4. Shoes: Make sure they are professional (no sandals, sneakers, extremely high heels). Men, purchase polish beforehand and make sure they shine!
5. Think before you spray: We all want to smell great, but for an interview, avoid spraying any perfume, cologne/aftershave. You never know if your interviewer is allergic, and you do not want to find out.
Most importantly, you should be proud of yourself for landing an interview! A lot of effort went into getting your foot in the door. Put an equal amount of effort into your outfit, add a little charm and charisma and you will surely land the job!
About the Author:
Lena Foote supports No Boundaries participants to find career opportunities that will allow them to best utilize their abilities, gain real-world experience, and find competitive employment. If you have a topic you’d like Lena to write about, send your suggestion to: firstname.lastname@example.org